Pumpkin Leaf, popularly known as Ugu or Ugwu here in Nigeria is commonly used in our vegetable soups. But recently, I’ve discovered a different way to enjoy its rich nutrients in all its goodness – SMOOTHIE!
When you think of a Smoothie, you probably think of just fruits. Why not try adding a vegetable this time around?
The Ugu leaf is loaded with iron, a mineral that is key to improve your blood production level.
You would need the following:
- A blender or food processor
- Ugu leaves (Pumpkin)
- One Orange or Pineapple
- One banana
How to prepare:
- Rinse the Ugu leaves properly to remove any dirt on it. (You don’t need to slice the leaves)
- Chop the banana into pieces
- Squeeze the juice out of the orange or pineapple ( I prefer to use this juice instead of water)
- Place everything into the blender and blend till its really smooth
Pour the smoothie into a glass and drop in some ice cubes if you want it chilled. An optional method will be using milk instead of banana. Try using Tiger Nut milk or Soy Milk and you’ll love it.
This is a fast smoothie you can enjoy with the rest of your family this lovely Saturday!
Do you have any other recipe for Ugu Smoothie? Have you tried this before? Please share, I’d love to read your comments.
Racheal EdwardFebruary 5, 2017 at 4:34 pm
Thanks for sharing
JenniferMarch 26, 2018 at 9:19 am
Please the quantity of milk and ugu leaves used was not specified..