I discover new things about my dogs everyday that makes me feel so proud of them. Here are 11 amazing facts I’ve discovered about dogs:
- If you leave your dog a piece of clothing that smells like you, the scent will comfort them and it can help curb their separation anxiety.
- Unlike humans who sweat everywhere, dogs only sweat through the pads of their feet. Dogs have sweat glands in between their paws.
- Dogs’ sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger than humans’.
- They empathize with human pain. Goldsmiths College released a study that showed more dogs will approach someone who’s crying or in distress than someone who is not. This shows that dogs are empathetic and are eager to help comfort humans in pain.
- Puppies are sometimes rejected by their mother if they are born by cesarean and cleaned up before being given back to her.
- They help you stay in shape. A study from the University Of London has determined that kids with dogs are more active, and exercise more often, than kids without dogs.
- Day-to-day depression, or even more serious chronic depression, is easier to handle with the love of a dog, studies show. Simply by having them around, and knowing that even at our worst, somebody loves us unconditionally and is eager to see us happy again, we’re given a reason to get up and keep going.
- Dogs’ noses secrete a thin layer of mucous that helps them absorb scent. They then lick their noses to sample the scent through their mouth.
- Dogs curl up in a ball when they sleep due to an age-old instinct to keep themselves warm and protect their abdomen and vital organs from predators.
- In a study done by scholars at the University of California, it was found that dogs can get jealous if they see their humans displaying affection toward something or someone else.
- Dogs are capable of understanding up to 250 words and gestures, can count up to five and can perform simple mathematical calculations. The average dog is as intelligent as a two-year-old child.
Amazing right? I’m glad I have some of them around. What is the most interesting fact about dogs on this list?
Is there any dog owner here? What are some of the most interesting things your dog has done? If you don’t have a dog, would you like to have one?
Sources: Distractify.com, Petfinder.com, Buzzfeed.com, Randomhistory.com, Telegraph.co.uk