You already know that citrus (think: oranges, lemons, tangerines, limes, and grapefruit) is an excellent source of immune-boosting vitamin C. But citrus offers many other impressive health benefits, as well.
Generally, citrus fruits have the highest antioxidant activity of all fruits, helping to boost the immune system and protect against cancer and heart disease. All citrus fruits contain fiber, which helps you feel full longer. That’s also why it’s better to eat the fruit itself (an orange, for example) rather than just drink fruit juice.
Here are some things you probably didn’t know about citrus fruits and more reasons to take them daily:
- Citrus fruits are an excellent source of vitamin C, a nutrient that strengthens the immune system and keeps your skin smooth and elastic.
- Oranges have the highest amount of vitamin C among citrus fruits. A medium whole orange contains around 70 milligrams of vitamin C. Orange juice is a concentrated source of vitamin C because it removes the rind and most of the pulp, which are not as high in the vitamin.
- Oranges may reduce the damaging effects of cholesterol and heart disease by protecting the inside of artery walls.
- Research shows that citrus fruits help reduce the duration and severity of colds.
- Citrus fruits are a good source of fiber. Just one cup of orange segments contains four grams of fiber. Fiber has several health benefits, including improving digestive health and aiding weight loss. Oranges are particularly high in soluble fiber, the kind of fiber that helps lower cholesterol levels.
Now you have more reasons to add citrus fruits to your shopping list. Stay healthy today and get your vitamins from these juicy fruits!